Street Academy is the Louisville Urban League’s educational enhancement program emphasizing reading and cultural identity development for 4th and 5th grade male students. Currently housed at four specific Jefferson County Public Schools, Street Academy also allows students to engage with martial arts and chess professionals to increase discipline and resiliency skills.
STREET ACADEMY OUTCOMES (JCPS Sponsored Program)
Street Academy participants will be able to:
- Articulate a greater sense of self (Character Development)
- Articulate a greater sense of belonging (Cultural and Community Responsibility)
- Read and recite pledges and affirmations (Cultural and Community Responsibility)
- Demonstrate and knowledge of algebraic notation (Academic Enrichment)
- Demonstrate improved literacy awareness and skills (Academic Enrichment)
- Articulate a greater understanding of their own potential (Self-Awareness)
- Articulate what it means to be a person of color and male (Self-Awareness)
- Demonstrate basic level martial arts knowledge and skills (Character Development)
If you have a student(s) at Byck, King, Roosevelt-Perry, or Wheatley Elementary, and would like to learn more about they can participate, please speak with your child’s teacher, principal, or simply complete the application HERE.